March 5, 2012

Feeding kids

I've always prided myself that my kids are good eaters.  Both Zoë and Sophia will eat most anything and plenty of things that most kids won't.  Zoë has always eaten just about anything put in front of her, and I've never been one to give much acceptance to turning her nose up at something.  For that I have a 17 year old that is an excellent eater, who loves food, who has (what I consider to be) a healthy relationship with food, and who is willing to try all different kids of foods.

Sophia has always given me a hard time about eating.  Not so much what she's eating, but just getting her to eat.  She's always been distracted.  She wants to talk and play and eating just isn't in her schedule.  My husband says it's because I serve unfriendly kid meals.  (i.e. chicken teriyaki and rice)

So, I have decided to serve a week's worth of kid friendly meals.  I'm taking my meal ideas from kid's menus.  I'm curious to see if it really is the food or if it's just the sitting down to mealtime that is the problem.  We will have chicken nuggets, fish sticks, mini pizzas, hamburgers... just to name a few.  My concern is that most of this is processed foods with lots of sodium and fat.  If it turns out that the problem is the food I'm going to search out healthier homemade versions of the foods rather than the processed stuff.

Here is last night (Sunday)'s dinner:

And, to make me feel better... I decided to have a little "processed" treat for myself, so I made a Betty Crocker cupcake mix with some cream cheese icing.  Yum.  They almost made me forget that I was serving my kids grilled cheese for dinner.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment