August 1, 2012

Organic Flop

So, here's the deal.  Turns out, this is hard.  My family is addicted to convenience foods and unwilling to make this transition easy.  Plus, going organic is expensive.  I did a trip through Whole Foods just to check things out and it was... $$cha-ching$$.  Plus, making my menu and grocery list is always a challenge, but even more so to try to consider less meat, less convenience foods, more planning and preparation, more price comparisons.  Not to mention that (I hope this is only initially) the start-up cost of going organic is pretty pricey because we pretty much have to start from scratch.

Ok.  I still really want to do this.  Like, really, really.  So, I'm going to do a little transition now (the next two weeks) and try to build a little of my pantry, then make a bigger transition the next two weeks so that by the first of September we will be at the very least, primarily organic, local, meatless, etc.

I should also clarify that we are not going completely meat free.  I'm sorry.  I like my chicken, burgers, etc. so we will go mostly meatless... say, eating meat 3 nights a week.  But I'm going to try to buy the local, horomone-free, grass-fed meats.  This two weeks I bought horomone-free, grass-fed meats from The Fresh Market because they were on sale $2.99/lb.  I still want to check out Western Wake Farmer's Market for local meats because I've been told prices are decent there.

I'm also going ahead with freezing fresh organic, local corn bought from the State Farmer's Market on Lake Wheeler Rd. at 65 ears for $20.  I'm also going to can local green beans that Lee is getting me through his work.  I'm getting a bushel for $40 which Nana says is a ridiculous price, but I shopped around and it's pretty reasonable now.  I guess it's been 10 years since Nana canned green beans.  Nana recommends Half-runner green beans and Silver Queen corn.  Not sure if that's what I'm getting, but either way.  The biggest cost will be jars, but I have some coupons and I've been watching Craigslist.  I'm thinking I could also freeze blueberries which are currently in season as well as peaches.  I'm just not sure if I have the money to do the fruits.  Like everything, the up front costs are rather high, but I'm hoping for longer term savings.

I'll keep posting about this... I know you're all hanging on my every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment